This was contained in a statement issued by the Commission, on Tuesday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Prince Adedeji S Soyebi.
The statement said ‘all efforts to serve the Senator have been futile, as he has made himself unavailable’.
The statement further said, ‘The Bailiff of the High Court accompanied by INEC officials have visited the office of the Senator at the National Assembly and his residence on six occasions but found the office locked, while they were not able to gain access to him at his residence. On resumption of the Senate after its recess, the Senator refused to accept service of the documents.. This was in the presence of journalists and was widely reported.
‘The Commission approached the Court for substituted service but was directed to make further attempts to serve the Senator. When this failed again, the Commission returned to Court to pursue the request for substituted service but the Court declined jurisdiction as the appeal by the Senator had been entered in the Court of Appeal.
‘As a result of Senator Dino Melaye’s refusal to accept service of the petition, the Commission has not been able to proceed with the process as earlier scheduled, as service has become a condition for precedent to continuing with the exercise. It has therefore decided, that in line with its usual practice and in deference to the rule of law, it will await the outcome of the decision of the Appeal filed by the Senator’, the Statement said.
The Commission, however, assured Nigerians of its commitment to the faithful discharge of its constitutional duties, adding that it ‘does not have any interest in the outcome of the Kogi West petition for the recall. Its interest is limited to ensuring all electoral activities are undertaken in line with due process and without fear or favour.’
KWARE/WAMAKKO FEDERAL CONSTITUENCY BYE-ELECTIONS HOLDS 0CTOBER 28
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has fixed Saturday 28, October 2017 for the conduct of the bye-election in Kware/Wamakko Federal Constituency of Sokoto State.
This was contained in the Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the Bye-Election released yesterday by the Commission, in Abuja,
According to the Timetable, political parties wishing to field candidates for the elections are required to conclude their primary elections on or before October 14, 2017, while the last day for submission of names of party agents to the electoral officers of the affected constituency was fixed for October 20th.
The Commission said, Notice of Election would be placed in the Constituency on October 6th, adding that submission of nomination forms at the INEC Headquarters will close on October 17th; while campaigns end on 26th October 2017.
Editor-in-Chief: Oluwole Osaze-Uzzi
Editor: Aliyu M. Bello
Reporter: Nathaniel Audu Gana
Technical Support: Bala Ato Agyo